Keeping children safe from child abuse and neglect while strengthening and supporting families is the heart of child welfare. New York State’s child welfare system includes child protective services; preventive services to enable children to remain safely at home with their families; and foster care for children who cannot remain safely in their homes.
CCC’s Work in Child Welfare
Citizens’ Committee for Children of New York is committed to ensuring safety; permanent, stable families; and well-being for every child touched by the child welfare system.
CCC advocates to:
Ensure sufficient funding for child welfare:
- We support Federal and State child welfare financing laws that increase funding for child welfare, so agencies can better protect, care for and provide services to children who either have been, or are at risk of being, abused or neglected.
- We advocate for more resources for the overburdened Family Courts.
Ensure children are safe:
- We support competitive salaries, opportunities for career advancement, adequate compensation and manageable caseload sizes for caseworkers.
- We advocate for enough child abuse and neglect prevention services for every family in need.
Ensure children have safe and stable permanent families:
- We fight to decrease court delay by increasing the number of Family Court Judges.
- We support the Kinship Guardianship Assistance Program (KinGAP), which helps relatives to permanently care for children outside the foster care system and receive a subsidy.
Ensure child well-being:
- We support implementing New York State’s Medicaid Redesign to improve health and mental health care services for foster children.
- We advocate for programs and policies to improve outcomes for youth who turn 21 and age out of foster care without a family.