Are you a high school student who wants to learn how to be an effective advocate for yourself, your school and your community?
Then read more about CCC’s YouthAction Community Leadership Course!
Every fall and spring, 25 high school students from throughout all five boroughs of New York City participate in CCC’s YouthAction Community Leadership Course (YCLC)—an after-school program for high school students interested in learning how to make a difference for New York City’s children and youth.
The YCLC is a FREE 10-week course for high school students, which meets on Monday afternoons from 4:00 to 7:00 PM at CCC’s office in Manhattan.
When you participate in the YCLC you will:
- Gain the skills to advocate on behalf of yourself, your school, and your community.
- Learn how to conduct hands-on research, such as public polling and site visits.
- Meet with government officials to discuss your ideas for improving New York City.
- Become a better leader through problem solving and critical thinking.
- Strengthen your communication and public speaking skills.
- Make lifelong friends with the diverse group of your peers in the program!
“The YouthAction Community Leadership Course at Citizens’ Committee for Children was an experience that I will never forget. It changed the way I see myself and the community around me. I no longer view myself as someone insignificant to change or as someone who has no say in how my community is run. This course gave me my voice.” –Coryrn Colon, Spring 2012 YCLC graduate
Find YOUR voice! Apply for the Spring 2019 YCLC today! Program begins March 4th!
Two YCLC courses are offered each school year, one in the fall and one in the spring. Sessions take place on Mondays after school for 10 weeks, from 4:00 – 7:00 PM. The group meets a CCC’s offices, located at 14 Wall Street (Suite 4E) in Manhattan. The course is FREE for New York City public and private high school students. Graduates are invited to remain involved by becoming YouthAction Members (YAMs), deepening their advocacy skills and planning youth-led projects from start to finish.