Act Now: Urge Your Elected Leaders to Support Children’s Behavioral Health Services
What are Children and Family Treatment and Support Services (CFTSS)?
Children and Family Treatment and Support Services (CFTSS) are new behavioral health services covered by NYS Medicaid. CFTSS help children and youth with mental health and substance use needs. CFTSS work with each child/youth to provide care in a way that works best for them and their families. The goal of these services is to help ﬁnd and treat children’s behavioral health problems early so that they can have the best health and development possible.
Unfortunately, rates for these critical services were cut at the beginning of the year, even though our State has reached less than 5% of the 200,000 eligible children. We need your help to urge elected leaders to fight to restore these rates and make sure the promised number of children get CFTSS services.
Take Action Now!
We need your help in calling the Senators below – they are key leaders in making decisions around children’s behavioral health and funding for CFTSS. You can find out if one of these Senators represents you by clicking here:
- Senator Rivera (Bronx) – 518-455-3395
- Senator Breslin (Capital Region) – 518-455-2225
- Senator Harckham (Putnam, Westchester) – 518-455-2340
- Senator Salazar (Brooklyn - Bushwick, E./Williamsburg, Cypress Hills) – 518-455-2177
- Senator Carlucci (Orange, Rockland) – 518-455-2991
- Senator May (Syracuse) – 518-455-2838
- Senator Stewart-Cousins (Westchester) – 518-455-2585
- Senator Gianaris (Queens - Astoria, Sunnyside, Long Island City, Ridgewood, Wood Haven, Ozone Park) – 518-455-3486
- Senator Montgomery - (Brooklyn - Bed-Stuy, Red Hook, Brooklyn Heights, Clinton Hill) – 518-455-3451
- Senator Persaud - (Brooklyn - East New York, Canarsie, Bergen Beach, Sheepshead Bay) – 518-455-2788
- Senator Kaminsky (W. Long Island) – 518-455-3401
Tips for Calling Legislators:
- Make the issues personal if you can – explain how this issue impacts you, your family, or your community.
- Be clear but concise.
- Be respectful, and make sure to thank them at the end.
Message to your Senator:
My name is (name) and I am (Describe yourself briefly)
(You can let them know if you are a parent, a young person, someone working for an organization that provides behavioral health services, etc. Make sure to let them know if you are a constituent).
I am reaching out to urge the Senator to include funding for Children and Family Treatment and Support Services, or CFTSS, in the Senate One House Budget.
CFTSS provide children with life-changing, family-focused behavioral health services that are meant to reduce hospitalization and emergency room use by treating children early, in the community.
Unfortunately, rates for these critical services were cut at the beginning of the year, even though our State has reached less than 5% of the 200,000 children eligible.
Can we count on the Senator to fight to restore CFTSS funding and make sure the promised number of children get CFTSS services?
They may end the call at this point, asking for your name and address. If they ask for more information, you can talk about:
In New York, suicide is the second leading cause of death for children 15-19, and over half of children with a diagnosed mental/behavioral health condition don’t receive the treatment they need. New CFTSS services can make a huge difference in the lives of children and families, but not if the State maintains the 11.5% cuts that went into effect at the beginning of the year.
New York must restore the enhanced rate for CFTSS that was supposed to pay for the start-up of counseling, psychotherapy, behavioral supports, skill building and family peer support. Please make sure rates for these services are restored in the enacted budget.