Effective youth service programs prepare young people to meet the challenges of adolescence and adulthood through structured, youth-centered activities that positively impact their development. New York’s youth service programs provide youth development and enrichment opportunities during the school day, after school, and during the summer.
CCC’s Work in Youth Services
Citizens’ Committee for Children of New York is committed to ensuring all youth have access to safe, quality youth services.
CCC advocates to:
Ensure every youth has access to high quality youth services.
- We advocate for every child in New York to have a safe and stimulating place to be when school is not in session, so their parents can work while youth receive academic, social, and leadership development opportunities.
- We advocate for increased federal, state, and city support for after-school programs, including the Out-of-School Time (OST) and 21st Century programs.
- We support increasing the number of children employed through the Summer Youth Employment Program (SEYP), so that greater numbers of youth can gain work experience and wages during the summer.
- We advocate for resources for New York City’s 80 Beacon programs, which are school-based community centers serving children, youth and adults during afternoons, evenings, weekends, school holidays/vacations and the summer.
- We champion programs and initiatives that further youth’s social, emotional cognitive, and physical development such as athletic programs, internships, tutoring, relationship violence prevention programs (such as Teen RAPP), the Fatherhood Initiative that engages young fathers in their children’s lives, and services for runaway and homeless youth.
- We promote programs that integrate youth voice and opportunities for civic youth engagement.
NYC youth applied but didn’t get summer youth employment jobs
on this issue
- Save Child Care and After-School for over 47,000 Children!
Tell Mayor Bloomberg and your policymakers to restore devastating budget cuts to fund high-quality child care and after-school systems.