Housing & Homelessness
Unfortunately, high housing costs, foreclosures, unemployment, family violence or disagreements can lead youth and families to become homeless, live on the streets, or live in unsafe, crowded conditions. New York State and New York City have a variety of programs and services to develop affordable housing, prevent eviction, provide shelter to homeless families and youth, and provide services to secure permanent housing for those who are homeless.
CCC’s Housing and Homelessness Work
Citizens’ Committee for Children of New York is committed to ensuring every child has a safe and stable home in which to live.
We advocate to:
Eliminate family homelessness:
- We advocate for programs and services that prevent families from being homeless, such as anti-eviction legal services, the New York City Department of Homeless Services (DHS) HomeBase program, and the Family Eviction Prevention Supplement (FEPS).
- We promote solutions, such as supportive housing and rent subsidies, which help homeless families obtain permanent housing and leave the shelter system.
Protect and help runaway and homeless youth:
- We advocate to increase the number of beds in the youth shelter system for runaway and homeless youth so every New York City youth in need of a shelter bed is able to have one.
- We support programs that keep runaway and homeless youth safe, off the streets, and that encourage them to reunite with their families when possible.
- We support services that address the needs of runaway and homeless youth, such as health and mental health services, education, vocational training and specialized programming for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning (LGBTQ) youth, pregnant and parenting youth, and sexually exploited youth.
Ensure affordable housing for families:
- We advocate for programs that make housing more affordable for families, such as a Renter Tax Credit and an increase in the number of Section 8 Housing Vouchers.
NYC children sleeping in homeless shelters tonight
on this issue
- Help NYC’s Most Vulnerable Youth Today!
Runaway and Homeless Youth services provide an essential lifeline. YOU can help these young people now!